Monday, May 23, 2011

Abroad: Why it Matters

I began this blog when I was leaving for Italy for a year to study, work, and envelope myself in all things Italian. While it didn't work out as I planned, I am beyond grateful for the experience.

Mine was a nontraditional study abroad experience, first in Reggio di Calabria during the summer. For y'all who are understandably unaware of how silly that phrase is, let me break it down for you: you can see the sands of Africa on the horizon in Calabria. We're talking the south of the south. A really, really, really good pitcher's stone's throw to Sicilia [15k]. So my love of heat and humidity was tested and increased as the temperature for the day was set at 100 degrees before 10a everyday. It was fantastic.

This town was authentic Calabrian. Our school was a school for international students who desired to learn Italian---talk about perfect. When you left class and went out into the street, you immediately had to put into practice what you had learnt! There were those folks in Reggio who spoke English, but they were few and far between. Italian was the only semi-guarantee you'd get what you wanted.



[I don't own the rights]


Me: Uhh, vorrei....un gelato, per favore.

Gelato man: Certo! Siamo in una gelateria! Certo vorrebbe un gelato! Dimmi un sappore, un taglia, se desiderebbe una cialda o una coppa o panna. Dimmi dimmi!

Me:........umm, vorrei.... un gelato, per favore. *point to the one with chocolate*



But learn we did. In fact, I am a firm believer of the deep end learning curve, ie throw them in the deep end and watch them swim. That's what Calabria was, in more way than one.

Both of my parents graduated from the same college as I did, so it wasn't foreign when I arrived there. It wasn't uber familiar, but familiar enough that I felt like I was ahead of the curve. In addition to that, my parents visited a bunch---as parents of a student and as alumni--so it felt more like sleep away camp that was only a few miles from home than a capital "c" College.

Italy, on the otherhand, was a different country! With a different lanugage! It was, by definition, foreign. So I had to adjust, feel things out, try new things and react to new situations, because everything was new! Each choice I made mattered immediately. A stunning experience, perhaps the first time I truly felt like an adult.My adult decisions carried me to Rome, the Vatican, Capri, Naples, Scilla, Taormina, Castelmola, Messina, Firenze, Lucca, Sienna and London. Not a bad deal for a first timer.

So go! Find the scholarship, scour student universe for a flight, research the programs and go! Challenge yourself to adulthood. You'll be happy with the results today and for years to come.

4 comments:

  1. Man, now I'm even more bummed I didn't study abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you need a month for a language course...Spain or Italy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I may copy you and post a bit about my time abroad, too! I went to an english-speaking school, so my Italian did not take flight as quickly as yours did, I bet. That was unfortunate, but everything else was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh! But for 2 years? Wow, vorresti parlar--uh, scrivere in Italiano con me?

    ReplyDelete