Thursday, October 22, 2009

So I turned 21 in a Country Where I've Been Legal for 3 years...

Ahhh, 21. An age most people dream about, the start of true adulthood.  Now you can smoke, join the military, go to R-rated movies, get your own credit card/insurance, rent a car, and drink. In America. Everywhere else you can do all of that at 18.  Including Italy, which you may think would make my birthday anti-climatic--think again.

First of all, let's reiterate: I'm in Italy!!  So already I'm pumped beyond normal birthday levels, but beyond 21st birthday levels? hmmmm, let's see.... I've been here a little over 3 weeks, working everyday and thus not really socializing at the local bar.

I have been hanging out with the family or other American aupairs [one of which, Katherine, is tight with Irina from Ambassadors....tiny tiny world!], Lindsay and Kate.

About 2 weeks ago it was Lindsay's birthday, Kate had not yet arrived, and we went to this SWEET little jazz bar called Charlie Bird and shared a bottle of wine, pizza, chocolate at midnight, and conversations with the bartenders.  Lindsay and Lauren, the aupair before me, had frequented the spot last year and thus were tight with the bartenders.  This gave us (on her birthday) some company, a free pass for the birthday girl to smoke inside, shots at midnight and when we left, as well as a major discount on the tab. Besides the already awesome vibe and chill music.

During that night I decided and told the bartender, Fuorio, that I'd be back for my birthday in 2 weeks.  So Monday (September 21) night Lindsay and I went to an Irish pub intown so I could get a look and we could get a drink and then we went on the real place: Charlie Bird! there we shared a bottle of wine, vibing to the music, people watching a bit [there is apparently a Circus school nearby and the students frequent the place--jugglers, acrobats, clowns galore! How sweet is that??], all while Billie Holiday and Nat King Cole serenaded us.

The twenty minutes building up to messanotte/midnight Fuorio kept looking over to our table, silently asking if it was time....and at midnight Billie stopped mid-word and Paul, John, Ringo, and George rocked out "happy birthday to you," while another bartender brought over a plate of chocolate with a lit candle.  My wish/candle blowing-out was shortly followed by a shot of rum with both of the bartenders and Lindsay. 1 1/2 hours later we packed up, headed out, graciously receiving both another discount and a farewell shot, as well as tanti auguri (happy birthday) to me.  :)

An excellent start to my 21st birthday!

7am rolled around and brought with it the start of my work day.  Other than tired, I was fantastic.  Patrizia and Ruggi serenaded me with Tanti Auguri/Happy Birthday before they left for school and I promptly took a nap.

When I woke up I got to skype my mom and sister for a while before leaving to pick up Fil from school.  Lunch at home and then pick up Ruggi at 4:30 with a quick turn around for a 6pm Karate, a 15 minute walk away.  His first class!

An hour later we left, went home and were greeted by Luisa--Patrizia's younger sister whom I had never met--and a gormet dinner complete with sparkling wine, the fanciest and most important pasta in Piemonte [Angliotti with Ragù], fanciest pork/meat dish in Italy and a MASSIVE chocolate cake to boot.

Also we were greeted by a gorgeous bouquet of white lilies and white roses courtesy of my parents and sisters back home. :) I love flowers. They're so happy [a hard one, but name that movie! hint: daisies] :) Before the cake the Carpanetos presented me with a blue envelope, inside which were 2 tickets (plus 1 for Patrizia) for a concert at the Royal Theatre!!! Piano + quartet---my FAVORITE!!

Blushing profusely with extreme gratitude and surprise I thanked them endlessly for the whole evening to which they humbly replied that it was nothing, of course this should be how my birthday is. :)
One more skype date home with my mom, dad and Elizabeth and then the warm embrace of my bed.  An excellent 21st birthday, complete with personalized bells and whistles. :)

2 comments:

  1. GILMORE GIRLS!!! Wait that's not a movie. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well possibly gilmore girls, but i had "you've got mail" in mind. When meg ryan is sick and tom hanks brings her daisies? "I love daisies, they're such a happy flower. Don't you think daisies are the happiest flower?"

    ReplyDelete